Thursday, November 25, 2010

Martha Stewart is Not Coming to Thanksgiving

To All Our Family and Friends:

Just a note to let you know we are hoping to see you Thanksgiving Day. But….

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. I’m telling you in advance, so don’t act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won’t be coming, I’ve made a few small changes:

Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I’ve gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper.  The artist assures me it is a turkey.

We will be dining fashionably late. The children will entertain you while you wait. I’m sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 a.m. upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds.

As accompaniment to the children’s recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don’t own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method. We’ve also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like. In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table. In a separate room. Next door.

Now, I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner.  For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress “private” meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind my young diners that “passing the rolls” is not a football play. Nor is it a request to bean your sister in the head with warm tasty bread.

Oh, and one reminder for the adults: For the duration of the meal, and especially while in the presence of young diners, we will refer to the giblet gravy by its lesser-known name: Cheese Sauce.  If a young diner questions you regarding the origins or type of Cheese Sauce, plead ignorance. Cheese Sauce stains.

Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice between 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints. You will still have a choice; take it or leave it. I hope you aren’t too disappointed that Martha
Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. She probably won’t come next year either.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

21 comments:

  1. "What, no boarder-man reaching across the table" or is that safe to do now that Martha Stewart isn't coming for Thanksgiving Dinner"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kippy- I almost forgot about it until Sue posted the Anti-Martha blog!

    Iggy- I don't know- I never paid much attention to her. She took way too much time and did things the hard way. They have tortillas in the refrigerator section- I do not need to make my own while I'm making fajitas!

    Oops- I guess they forgot something, Queenie!

    Thanks Kat- this one makes me laugh every time I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank the Lord Martha isn't coming....I love the idea of thawing the turkey in the clothes dryer....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cringed at that one, Bill... sounds like a good way to tear up a dryer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I learned something last year. If the turkey is still frozen, you can cut it up into pieces (like you would a chicken) and then roast it. Tastes the same. You can do that anyway to cut down on baking time if you want! Especially if you're going to serve it already carved on a platter- no one will know the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Scott!

    Well Ajax, I don't have all the production assistants and personal assistants and all that she has...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like me, I never was good at carving. I even 're-butchered' the pork picnic while I was trying to cut it into slices. I gave up and settled for small chunks. They blend in nicely with the chunks of pineapple in the photo I posted. LOL
    Ahahahaha I laughed at this until tears rolled, it was so funny. I 'bout fell out of the chair laughing at her 'recording of tribal drumming'. I know how tennis shoes sound in a dryer, I can't even imagine a frozen turkey banging around in one. I'll have to keep that idea in mind for the future. lol Thanks for the laughs, this was a perfect ending to my Anti-Martha Stewart T-Day. And actually, although my meal accidentally turned out well, my decorating scheme looked a lot like this woman's entry hall. Messy messy messy...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Turkey. Martha Stewart couldn't come,. She was at my parents house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I come instead, this sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure Guy- there are plenty of leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the blog Janeen but I am puzzled about Martha Stewart. Is she one of your Multiply contacts or have I missed out on something previous?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dai, she is a tv show hostess who cooks and decorates and shows you how to host perfect parties. Over the top parties. She also has her own cookware line and who knows what else. Everything she does is to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aha so now I will read it all again in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a good thing the knife was electric so the turkey didn't win! LOL Our turkey was still frozen on Thanksgiving morning so we had to have a late dinner.

    ReplyDelete