Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You Can Teach an Old Dog


I'm starting a class on Lay Speaking on Monday night. I've been wanting to do something that is out of my box- and this may just be it! They sent a big packet of information yesterday that contained a list of things to bring and our workbook. We're supposed to read the first session before Monday night. I thought I'd read through it quickly but after awhile, I realized that session one is longer than I thought! I'll finish it in a little bit.

For those who don't know (and I really didn't, either) the Methodist church offers training for Lay Speakers. This doesn't mean they're training me to talk in front of the church, but it is a chance to recognize your spiritual gifts for work in the church. Each session guides you through a reflection on the areas of leading, caring, communicating, and spreading the love of Christ in the world.

There is an advanced level that I may take after I take this basic course. That allows more options to serve in the Methodist conference, not just at my church. We'll see about that later- it isn't like I don't have enough in my schedule now, but it may open some doors. It is definitely going to teach me something!

I'm firmly in week 3 of my Beth Moore Bible study on Daniel. It has been very enlightening so far. I just love learning new things!

16 comments:

  1. Amen. I always learn something new from participating in church activities , as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very good! I love to learn new things too ... I'm always trying to study something. This last year was a bit different but I'll be back to it soon!

    Please, tell us how the course is going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your Lay Reading Ministry. I am attending an all day Parish Leadership Training Workshop at Christ the Kind Spiritual Life Center in Greenwich, NY on the 6th. Praise God. I will be serving as my Parish's convention delegate at the 142nd annual General Convention of the Episcipal Diocese of Albany in June at Well, N.Y. (my 2nd.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its always enlightning to participate in Church activities. Good luck in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Sounds a lot like the same thing I'm doing, Jeff. I'm Lay Leader for our church for the next two years. That means I get to go to Annual Conference in June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your energy Janeen, I can almost feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds great, Janeen! Here are the changes you've been looking for, huh? It's fantastic to find something you love so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a great course.. it is wonderful that they offer it. The study of Daniel sounds like it could be quite interesting as well....and who knows where it will all lead. I came to full ministry after the age of 50 (God kept calling, I kept letting it go through to answering service hehheh) We may see you doing the same if that is your road to travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get as much out of it as you hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! Who knows.. maybe you've got the "gift"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you get up in front of the group to speak, are you going to use the microphone? I have had several to try to get me to use the mic. A few problems with that, when it is corded, the cord isn't long enough. When it doesn't have cord, they say I am a tad bit loud. After all, I told them I didn't need a mic. They wouldn't believe me. When GOD called me, HE gave me my very own personal built in P.A. system. Most of the time the corded mics, wont even reach the second row. In case you haven't figured it out, when I preach, I move around a little bit. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been a singer for so long that mics don't bother me. Corded, wireless, headset- doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to put a few recording of you on here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you sing? Coolness. May we hear?
    thats wonderful you taking the class nice nice nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a good move for you Janeen!

    ReplyDelete