Thursday, December 2, 2010

Days of December- Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love- Day 1

I know I missed posting this yesterday- not a very good start, but I was up late doing a very good thing. I'm the chair of our Council on Ministries at church and we had a very important, possibly church-changing meeting last week. I have a presentation to make to our Administrative Board on Sunday night and I now have a fabulous powerpoint to go along with it!

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, the Council on Ministries is the leaders of the different groups in the church- missions, children's ministry, women's groups, men's group, youth, preschool, and worship team. We get together quarterly to discuss what is going on in our group, especially where it may affect another group. The Administrative Board is just what it sounds- that's where the ministries, finance, trustees, etc. come together to run the life of the church. Methodists have much more lay control than other denominations- the pastor is not a part of these committees, although he is usually there putting in his two cents!

This presentation gives me hope- that is my theme of today (ok, yesterday...). This is a huge opportunity to start a satellite church at a church that is almost nearly defunct. It will take more than one meeting, and lots of prayers, but I can see how we're uniquely positioned to do so, and how God has set everything up for the relationships and the knowledge for us to take this on. This would be a big step for our church, one we've never talked about before at this level. Pray for us, that we are seeking God's guidance in this endeavor.

10 comments:

  1. It takes a stronger person than I to be involved in a church's politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be great if the church that's nearly defunct gets going again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will keep this project that is dear to your heart in my conversations with the Lord... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's OK. I gathered scripture for Day 1, but I'm not posted for Day 1 yet either.

    Isn't that council basically what the church elders and deacons are called to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the rest of your members are like you, I'd say this is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Methodist church doesn't have deacons and elders... this is the next best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kat- I can get along very well with most people- the others I just laugh and shake my head at!

    Susan, I'd love to see it thrive again!

    Thanks, Mo- I appreciate it!

    Guy, you're not missing too much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great, my friend. I appreciate your leadership in the church......the church today needs informed, compassionate leaders that are consistent and Godly.

    :)

    ReplyDelete