Friday, December 3, 2010

Days of December- Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love- Day 3

Today I see peace. Maybe not in the world, but in my own corner of the world. But sometimes in order to see peace, you have to have been at war.

Some of you know my step-son came back from Iraq in July. He had no job, no car, no place to stay, his wife left him, his parents don't want him... so I took him. He is my hard child to love. He always has to do things the complicated way. He wants to be one step ahead of where he is. But I see the potential.

He has been home now for nearly 6 months and he isn't looking for a job. He is in that Catch-22 position where he can't buy a car without a job and he can't get to work without a car. Things came to a head today. It seems that he expects someone to give him a car so that he can find work. Well, life doesn't work that way. I was calm and rational and told him that he had to earn the car. I also told him that he had to have a job. There are jobs out there- they may not be what he wants, but they pay more than he has now.

But things are calm now... the air is cleared and he knows exactly what I expect. I came home tonight to find him filling out applications online. One step at a time. But now I feel a peace- a peace that I cleared the air and got some pent-up resentment off my chest.

It does remind me that without war, we don't recognize or appreciate peace. Without noise, we don't know silence. Without stress, we don't know calm. Maybe peace can't exist in the world without chaos to accompany it. But when we are in a state of peace, all is right in our own little world.

10 comments:

  1. Very good points. People complain about all the bad stuff that goes on but how would we know the good without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right...we would never know good without first feeling the bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a balance between all the things that distract us and all the things that bring us peace. It's good to have some things to shake up our worlds just a little bit. Otherwise, we might end up being a Lotus Eater. =D

    Good to hear that your son is applying for jobs online. I wish him the best in his search for employment. I hope he gets something with decent pay - at least enough to get him a car and then he can work for a little bit at the new job and look for something better. Been there, done that. It's interesting to see what happens once you start working again. All sorts of possibilities out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's lucky he has you. We all are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww.... that makes me feel good! Thanks Kat! I think I'm pretty lucky to have you all, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the stand you took with him. Commendable. His response is also encouraging.

    There's hope and peace in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Steve. I did have to remind him that I was not obligated to let him live here, that he was here because I love him and want to help him. But I'm not going to enable him to depend on others for the things he needs. He's going to have to "man up" and learn to support himself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are unable to appreciate the good times without going through the bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A well written blog Janeen and I am in complete agreement. I also have had relatives who wouldn't work because they couldn't get their ideal job. So they sponged. I hate that Janeen. I am ready to help anybody in need but my sympathies totally change when the person won't get a job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Kat is right Janeen. We are all lucky to have found you. You are a special person.

    ReplyDelete