Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Testimony

I opened this to a lot of people, but not all my contacts. This is the rough draft of my testimony, which is the story of my walk with God. It is a speech, so it is written a little differently than it would be if it were a paper. But help me with it- I need to know if it has a message, comes across well, or sounds scholarly. I don't want it to sound scholarly, I want it to sound personal. But I'm not sure that it does. So please be honest and tell me what you'd change- what you'd shorten, or expound on... or anything else that grabs you.

Thanks my friends!!


I’ve always felt a little cheated because I don’t have one of those testimonies where I walked far away from God, ended up in the gutter, and then clawed my way back. No, mine is far more of a lazy river testimony than a roaring waterfall. I’ve done my fair share of meandering, but, like lazy rivers, they always come back to where they started.

 

I was born into the Methodist church and baptized at 6 months old. My parents were faithful members- there weren’t too many Sundays that we missed church. I came to know the people of this little rural church and I came to know the Bible stories. I don’t think I came to know God until much later.

 

I know I went through confirmation, but you can’t convince me now that I learned much. It was probably an extension of school, where you went because you were supposed to, but the subject matter was just as exciting as conjugating verbs or memorizing dates in history.

 

I love music. Music speaks to me in a way that moves my soul, so it is appropriate that it took music to stir my soul to God. When I was in 9th grade, I was asked to play in a youth praise band. We’re talking late 70’s, so the music was more along the lines of “Day by Day” and  “I’ll Rise Again” than what we think of as praise music now. We were a pretty good band, and got the opportunity to play at this large venue with many other praise bands. I think we all got to play two or three songs and then someone (and it is a shame I can’t remember who) got up to speak. He talked of God, and love, and fun, and hearts, and before I knew it, my feet were carrying me toward the altar to sing of my undying love for my Savior.

 

Coming home, life was different. Not really, but I saw it through the eyes of one who knows God, knows that they’re loved unconditionally, no matter what.

 

A short 3 years later, I lost my dad. He was my foundation- that rock that our family was built on. 6 months later I left for college. Probably too many life changes at once, but I started to meander away from God. Not so I noticed so much. I went to the BSU because they were the most active Christian group on campus. But that became a substitute for going to church. Then my music major schedule- which often had 50 to 60 hour weeks, caused me to even drop that. I didn’t have anything against God, just didn’t have much time for Him.

 

After graduation, I had meandered- not far,  but far enough that I didn’t even really realize I was missing Him. Life wasn’t bad. I worked several years and then met a man and started a family. I thought I had met a Christian man- and he was probably just as committed to his faith as I was at the time. But things changed when the children were involved. I wanted them to grow up in the church. I went back to my little hometown church, two boys in tow, and put them in Sunday School. I joined the choir. We went to church at least every other week without my husband.

 

I decided that the boys needed to be in a church where their school friends would be. So instead of going to “my” church, we moved to the church that is almost in sight of our house. It was here that I would really discover God and the ways He was moving. He used me to help start a children’s choir program. My daughter was baptized here. The boys found their own faith here. And I began to grow in my interest and in my calling.

 

The one thing missing was my husband. He didn’t ask for a ‘churchy’ wife, he said. I kept inviting him, kept praying for him, and even offered to visit other churches with him so he could find a place where he felt safe. When I realized the truth- that women, beer, and drugs meant more than God, I felt like a true failure. I had broken a promise that I made to God to be with this person forever.

 

But God is so good! He used a powerful group of women on the Walk to Emmaus to show me that God uses everyone- even those who feel like they are damaged, feel like a failure. He surrounded me with women with a powerful message- I’m divorced, but I love God and He loves me and wants me with Him. Flaws and all.

 

That was 3 ½ years ago. Since then, I’ve embraced my failures and my shortcomings. Actually, the more I feel like I’m succeeding in getting closer to God, the more I see how utterly useless I really am. I can do nothing without Him, but with Him there is nothing that is impossible. I’m standing tall, facing an unknown future with a God who is so strong that nothing can stop Him. I am also facing a future, possibly alone, but with a God who loves me so much that THAT is enough. Any more is just the icing rose on top of the cake. He is all I need, and He has promised to never leave me. And with that, I’ll take the next step forward toward eternity.

24 comments:

  1. The only thing that I can say is that you didn't fail your husband. HE failed YOU and the KIDS! What he does isn't your fault and NEVER will be. He'll figure it out sooner or later and then come to realize he made a big mistake.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that now, but I really felt like I was going to walk around with this big scarlet letter on my chest (a big D!) Now, I can see that it was really a good thing- or God used it for good. I'm stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't think that God can be disappointed with you and the divorce. Some folks just don't really have it all together as a couple and no matter how hard one of the couple tries, the other one won't move until they finally get the message. God knows you tried and tried hard. But that's the most awesome thing about God. He's still gonna love you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that He can be disappointed in the divorce, but forgive my role in it. My pastor at work told me the best thing- that I didn't break my promise. It was a covenant, and if anyone in that covenant broke it, it was broken, no matter what the other two did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww sweet sistah .. THIS post made my day =) It did indeed come from your SOUL. I praise Jesus FOR YOU!

    You discovered CHRIST as your Bridegroom...BEAUTY from Ashes
    Is 61;1-3..read it & LIVE =) You are HIS beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Stilly- HUGS!! That's a great passage. I'll sit on it for the next few days- it does move me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That passage has been prayed over me ( a dear gf up north prays it ) ever since my late husband's suicide almost 7 yrs ago. It captures my soul!

    You mentioned that you knew His Word but KNOW it deeper still today...same here =) Your testimony is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your testimony is very powerful.
    Like you, I have been through the big D and I don't mean Dallas. There are still some folks that I used to go church with, that still look down their nose at me. The ex is the one who left and filed the papers.

    I do believe you done all you could to preserve your marriage. You made you choice to serve GOD, he made is to go the other way.

    GOD knew while you were doing 50-60 hours a week, it would all pay off for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was raised by a minister and I strayed much further than you . . .

    You said something about not keeping your vows to stay forever and feeling like you'd failed. I think most people who take marriage seriously feel this way, but someone told me a while back that I wasn't the only one who made vows. The vows were already broken when I left. God sees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fave line. :) This is beautiful and very conversational in tone, Janeen. Thanks for including me in the list of people who got to see it.

    I had also completely forgotten about singing Day By Day in choir ... it was one of my faves! That and Gaudeamus Hotie (I just know I've misspelled that, but I'm going from memory). Really well-written, Janeen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would certainly not change anything. It is very well written and very personal.
    Thank you so much for letting me read this.

    Of course I'm with the people who already stated that te divorce was not your doing. You didn't break the covenant, your ex-husband did. But you know that already.

    And I'm with Kippy, my fave line is "I can do nothing without Him, but with Him there is nothing that is impossible" ... that's what I discovered too :)
    It makes life so much more relaxed and wonderful, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll come back...but I will say this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Other than the admission that we are all sinners in this fallen world, and perhaps what guidance the Lord provided as a result of your prayer that made your divorce "doable", this is a very good witness. But my impression is that after what you have obviously gone through and the strenght of your faith, it could be more "powerful".. .This is meant to be supportive and objective. May the Blessing of God Almighty continue to nuture you and shepard you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jeff! That's what I was looking for. This has to be ten minutes, and right now it is 5-6! So I have to find some more things to say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think what makes your testimony strong is the fact that you are able to see where God has taken you in your journey. You could be bitter but I haven't seen that in what you have said. I encourage you to stick with that message -- it says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meandering.

    We all do that, sometimes far more than once. There are highways all over the country, but inside us, is but one road, but a tricky one. It's filled with curves, bends, potholes, ruts and cracks all designed to make us trip and fall throughout life, and we will fall. It's the getting back up and the keep on going that sustains us because we know that He is nearby, watching, as if coaching us, bringing us to places we never knew existed until we arrive ... not where we want to be, but rather where He knows we belong.

    On this Earth, we will never be perfect, nor are we meant to be, but by His Grace, each day, each step, we get closer.

    I think we all have our own beliefs in faith, similar, yet different, still they all pretty much head in the same direction, toward a higher power. One we readily accept.

    In the process of living the physical life, we do all we can to be as right and true to our friends, family, and ourselves. In the process of living God's way ...

    Mark 11:22-24

    22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered.
    23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

    (Tis rare I go this direction, I hardly ever expound on religion as I generally keep my beliefs to myself, but you are a friend.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm back. I really don't have anything to add. I've walked with you through the divorce and a few things in the recent past, and can attest to the fact you are a strong, smart woman. Whatever you attribute that to, it's worked. Ya done good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Kat.

    Thanks everyone. I wasn't looking for affirmation, although it sure is nice! I do have to add about 4 minutes to this. My boss helped a little this morning. She told me to add stories and even demonstrated a few. So I may bave a revision to throw at you later this weekend. thanks for all the input so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "remember the shitbox". There's a story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No matter the path -- it's the destination that is important.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are from the South, s p e a k s l o w.


    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with the others, there isn't anything I would change. I think it is important that you describe that you did get pulled away from God a little bit, without really knowing that it was happening. People need to know about these diversions too. I think this is good, well written, and you'll do just fine with it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. *laughing* Scott...I thought the same thing! s l o w w w

    ReplyDelete