Friday, October 23, 2009

Stay Healthy This Cold and Flu Season

A nurse friend sent me this email and it had such good advice in it, some of which I didn't know, that I thought I'd post it. Hope it helps you this season.

PREVENTING OR AT LEAST LESSENING THE SEVERITY OF SWINE  FLU

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's  almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all  precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is. 

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent  proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications,  can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu): 

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications). 

2. "Hands-off-the-face"  approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe).

3.  Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt).  H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to  proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents  proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a  healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this  simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method. 

4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be  good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with Q-tips dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral  population.       

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (citrus fruits, for example). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption. 

6. Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc.) as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They  wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they  cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.


20 comments:

  1. All good counter measures to protect except for the frequent hand washing. That practice can also remove lesser bacterium that enable your immune system to function at peak efficiency. Washing hands is very good unless you become "germaphobic" because of the mass hysteria concerning the H1N1 strain....just sayin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking you do #1 in case you forget to do #2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried that nasal wash once back when a yoga teacher suggested it years ago...and there is no way I could ever do it all the time. I can do the swab thing. Good info Janeen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this advice Janeen. I will post it on the wall of my office. You see you are now famous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a neti pot. Usually I use it when I have a cold, but I think I'll use it every day right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good info. Thank you Ma'am.
    I usually add more Cayenne Pepper to my diet during this time of year.
    It is great in soup,chili, beans, spinach, scrambled eggs, salad, Cheerios.
    Plus, it help you with all your sinus problems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Janeen! I didn't know drinking warm liquids had the same effect as gargling. Glad I've been drinking a lot of warm tea lately. I've been trying extra hard to remember to take my multivitamin supplement. It contains vitamin c and zinc. These are all very good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walk around with bottle of bleach water, spraying other people and objects you come into contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cherei & Scott! LMAO! Hard to avoid sick people when you have to work, go to the store, get the kid from school, go to church, etc. And I'm not real sure people would enjoy being sprayed with bleach- Lysol, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can do all of that and still get sick. We've had 14 people in my office come into work with swine flu so far, and three of them work in the cafeteria, preparing food. *shudders* I've been bringing in breakfast for the last 8 days. I'll continue that now, thank you very much. *gags*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep two spray bottles of it at my desk and the handwipes. I don't wash my hands anymore at my desk with that gel stuff. I use the Lysol handwipes. (In the bathroom, it's just cold water so I'm not sure if that helps or not. I end up doing both on the days we have no hot water in the bathrooms at the office.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what is next on your list, Sam.
    #7- don't get a flu shot. Don't worry, I'm not planning on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehehe. That and #8 Make and put on tinfoil hat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is much better than going to the dr. !

    ReplyDelete