Friday, January 18, 2008

The Worst, Best, Most Horrible, Perfect Funeral

Curtis Luke Byars- April 7, 1990- January 12, 2008

I am totally emotionally spent. I've never been to a more moving, more meaningful, more perfect funeral than the one for Luke yesterday. I've needed a day to process all that happened before I could really even talk about it.

The teenagers have had more questions this week than I have had answers. I've had questions, too. Most are  "Did he go to heaven?" "Why does God allow 17 year olds to die?" "Can we blame anyone else for this?" All of this was answered at his funeral.

They didn't gloss over the fact that he was doing drugs and overdosed and died. The pastor did a very good job of summing up this child and his personality. He had obviously known him and his family his whole life. There were probably 500 people there (over 2000 signed the register the night before) and I would guess that at least 1/3 were teenagers. Probably, most were not "good" teenagers- just normal teens with the normal stresses and temptations.

His youth pastor's talk hit home with these kids. He answered their unspoken questions. He challenged them to learn from Luke's mistakes, and also challenged them to get their life right with God. 25 youth came to the altar to accept Christ. Now I have to say, I have never been fond of the altar call at a funeral. I just don't think that is an appropriate place to accept Christ. In this case it felt just right. These are lost, hurting kids who need the peace that comes from the Great Healer.

Most proudly, I'm glad that my boys were the first ones who went down. They have struggled with their faith for years (their dad didn't help- he didn't have a strong belief one way or the other.) They were moved, and are still scared stiff of the movement of the Holy Spirit that they don't really understand.

The worst (best) part of the entire funeral was the end- there are 25 kids at the altar, and Luke's mom and dad joined them. His mom prayed over them- that they be saved from the same fate as her son, that his death not be in vain, but allow these other kids to have a wonderful life and learn from his mistakes. There was not a dry eye in the house, and more than a few loud sobs- and I admit some were mine.

There was a mighty power in attendance- and He was recognized and revered. I am so thankful that I was there for that, and hope I never go through anything like that again.

6 comments:

  1. you are in my prayers, and I will pray that Luke will rest peacefully

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP Luke.

    Peace to you and yours, Mommadish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jeneen, this is heartbreaking but encouraging all at the same time. I do hope that in his death comes salvation for those that were going down the same path as him.
    I have a 17 yr old and I can't imagine losing him to something as senseless as drugs.
    Sending out healing energies to his family.

    Huggles,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that does sound like a moving experience. But I'm glad I didn't have to be there,and sorry you were. What a sad thing to have to attend. Hopefully this emotional acceptance will stick, and help remind the kids of how their actions affect everyone, not just themselves. It's a hard lesson to learn as we age. And even some adults don't know it by heart yet. You're one special lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a senseless death!! I am sure that must have been emotionally over whelming to many there. You have reason to be proud of your boys, that took a lot of courage...especially in front of 500 people. Warm huggssss my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gave me chills just thinking about it. Glad that they didn't gloss over it and hopefully it will make many of the other teens think twice. Sometimes the most beautiful things come from the worst tragedies.

    ReplyDelete