Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ten Thoughts for a Post-Vacation Tuesday

1. You know how work is always worse the day you get back from vacation? My whole week is going to be like that.

2. Three people died on Friday. One lady had cancer and was expected. Two were murdered.

3. Yep, murdered. I don't think I've ever known anyone who was murdered. Click here if you want to know more.

4. Their funeral is Thursday, and should prove to be the biggest circus I've ever seen. Media have been all over this story.

5. The sweet lady who died from cancer will have her funeral next week. She was my Monday office volunteer until she got too sick to continue. That one's going to be harder!

6. Then I got to work this morning and found out that another man, who had been ill for a long time, died last night. His funeral will be Friday.

7. As I was sending out email messages about news and arrangements to our members, the associate pastor told me (jokingly) to include that "deaths will be postponed for the time being. We will alert you when this service is available again." That was after I said "can I suggest that anyone else who is planning to die wait for awhile? We're kinda busy!"

8. I know, there's nothing funny about any of this. But sometimes you have to laugh or you'll just go nuts!

9. So I really don't wanna go to work tomorrow. It's just been stressful and over-the-top crazy. And I never feel that way about my job.

10. I know, I should pray and meditate. Believe me, I need it!

13 comments:

  1. I had an uncle Harry. One year at Christmas (sometime in the early 80s) he looks at the one cousin I had at the time (who was maybe a year old) and said, "You're just comin' into the world, and I'm about to head out of it."

    And a couple of weeks later he did just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just breathe.... laughter is the best way to deal with the stress, you are doing great, and by next week it will same old, same old.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say. What a hard thing to come back to. Hugs.

    And happy birthday xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible week. I'm sorry you are dealing with so much after a vacation. Maybe you should take another one next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just really weird, Janeen. I'm in shock just reading the article. *hugs* This is a lot of stress for you and the church, not to mention family members. I'll say a prayer for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had two office co-workers murdered?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm going to need another one! The poor pastor will too, she's got more work than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! (liked #7, as well). It's not always easy to maintain one's equanimity in the midst of chaos...keep breathing, do some deep breathing exercises and honor your need for some TLC, as well as helping your family and others where and when you are able to. I hope the police are able to apprehend the culprit and throw their butt in jail/prison for life!

    A side note: I have known a few people who were murdered; it's unsettling, to say the least.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sometimes life hits you from all sides doesn't it? *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, just got home from work! I did take about 3 hours off and watched Savannah's volleyball game. I just didn't want to have to go back tomorrow and finish up- did it tonight instead. Whew- I need a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, death all around you Jan. That would pull me down. I'm struggling to get back into things after my 'holiday'

    ReplyDelete