Monday, August 24, 2009

Chicken Indienne

Description:
I made this for supper tonight. Tired of eating the same things over and over again, I got out my Southern Living cookbook and tried the first recipe the page fell open to. Think I'll do this on Mondays for a bit- maybe come up with some new foods. This one is definitely a keeper!

Ingredients:
4 T flour
1 T curry powder
1/2 t salt
4 chicken breasts
1 T vegetable oil
1 c water
1/2 c milk
3 cups cooked rice (I used brown basmati, but use whatever you like!)
1/4 c toasted coconut

Directions:
On wax paper, combine 3 T of flour with curry powder and salt. Coat the chicken with this mixture.

In a non-stick skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 4 minutes on each side. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until chicken is dome. Remove chicken from pan but retain the drippings.

In a cup, whisk the milk and remaining 1T of flour. Add to drippings and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, whisking constantly. Simmer for 2 minutes or until gravy thickens.

Serve chicken over rice, top with gravy and toasted coconut.

9 comments:

  1. I love recipes until I start having to replace ingredients with other ingredients because I don't have the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually save these in a folder
    and go looking through them when I want to try something different

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is going in my recipe box- thought I'd put it here, too. If I'm at work I can go through them here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds good. I bet Dai and the gang have eaten this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was funny to find in the Southern Living cookbook! Says it was a recipe from the railroad cookbook from 1927! I thought it sounded very Indian/Asian, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds GOOD! I love wild rice.. it would go nicely with this dish.. being a little nuttier flavored.. with the curry. Maybe some walnuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, the toasted coconut didn't really have much flavor... I thought about trying toasted almonds on top next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nuts are a wonderful additive! So few Americans cook with them.. and they really should add them.. I try and add them from time to time. Especially in rice dishes or things with say.. chicken..

    ReplyDelete