Friday, December 5, 2008

The Symphony Was Awesome!

I ended up with three free tickets to the Charlotte Symphony last night (perk of the job, believe it or not!) So Scott, Savannah, and I went to their Christmas Pops concert. It was a blast! The symphony was joined by the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte, the Charlotte Children's Choir, a jazz quintet, and the UNCC Percussion ensemble.

The diverse program included "C
hristmastime is Here" by the children and the jazz quintet; Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" from the Messiah; a movement from Tchaicovsky's "Nutcracker Suite"; music from "The Polar Express" and a quirky original piece by the percussion ensemble (who was a ton of fun) called "All I Want for Christmas is a Brand New Drum," where they beat on everything from their knees, to boxes, to drums, to Santa- and even Mrs. Claus used her broom to keep time! There was more, including "Silent Night," "White Christmas," "Sleigh Ride," and a movement of the Poulenc "Gloria."

We had great orchestra level seats, but at intermission, Scott and Savannah got to exploring the beautiful Belk Theatre, made friends with an usher, and ended up moving us to box seats right over the stage! That was fun- looking down and watching them play! Look at this picture, and we sat on the middle level on the right- the closest box to the stage!


I miss being in band, but this cured my classical music lust for the moment, anyway. We were discussing season tickets on the way home, but $300 for 5 shows (for 2 people) is beyond our means right now, although that isn't a bad deal at all. Maybe Santa will be good to me and bring me symphony tickets for Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. That's really awesome! I just wish that I had taken photos when I was in St. Louis but we were told no photos. *sigh* I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grand Rapids symphony has an outdoor concert series called "Picnic Pops." Last year Pat and I went there to hear the symphony play the music of ABBA and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I have a good tax return this year- Scott is serious about wanting season tickets- and if he's willing to go with me (actually, if he's willing to drive in downtown Charlotte!) then I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Sounds like you had a great time Momma. :) Fingers crossed for you on that tax return... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a really nice night out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a nice night! Downtown Charlotte is beautiful with all the lights anyway, but it is even prettier at Christmas. I didn't feel "ready" for Christmas before this... now I'm excited that the season is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice ! u havent been to a symphony in years and it was only once but i had a wonderful time. thanks for sharing the secret on how to get better seats ! nothing is better than free huh ?

    ReplyDelete