Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Camping- Part 2


These are random pictures from this weekend that I thought were interesting. This is a log cabin that was built in 1788. It was added on to where the open door is but the addition is now gone. Apparently the first family who lived here had 15 children! There is newspaper on the walls from the 1940s so people were still living here then. I didn't see a nail on anything- only hand-hewn logs that fit together tightly.

This little guy wandered into camp one morning. As much as the kids tormented him, I expected him to make an escape. But he was still there when we left Monday afternoon!

We saw this Amish farmer mowing hay- sure not the way they do it here!

This barn was visible from a long way away. This is some of the prettiest country!

The kids didn't know what this is. I suppose there are some things they should see and experience before the knowledge dies out!

It was a great weekend and I didn't want to come home. No cell phone, no computer, no clock... I could live like that for a long time!

18 comments:

  1. Phenomenal! But, um, I don't know what the bottom thing is, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool pictures.

    The bottom pic, I think is the top of a well. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...hello, people...that is totally a wheel from Fred Flintstone's car. DUH!

    Virginia landscape...wow, that really is beautiful! More jealouser now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pictures.... and looks like an awesome time.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, ye old mill grinding stone, nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Jeff! You win- although there isn't a prize. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. newspaper on the walls were used for insulation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You want a prize too, Arkie? Yes, we told the girls, when they asked, that this was the original source for wallpaper. It wasn't for looks in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that from an old mill? (The last photo? That's my guess anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh. I didn't read the comments until AFTER I made my guess.

    *sigh*

    I wish I was able to go with you. Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be fun, Susan- a big Multiply camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely beautifull built old house Janeen!
    I think many of us would love a house like that if it were fixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just caught up with your last few blogs Janeen... sounds like you all had a great time and those photos are beautiful!
    I wouldn't have known about the mill stone! And the Amish farmer pic is just sweet. You should enter that in any "Americana" competition you find. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Imagine a life like that no cell no nothing it might be just wonderful like you said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The kids aren't alone.. I don't know what it is either! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a millstone from an old mill...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe those Amish have got it right Janeen. That scenery is amazing

    ReplyDelete