Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Camping in Virginia- Part 1

I know, I've been missing for several days. I had the chance to join two other families, David and Dava and their kids Elizabeth, Josh, and John at their family land in Pulaski County, VA, and Dierdre and Randy and their kids Josh, Zach, and Audrey. We loaded up as soon as I got out of work on Friday, May 28 and  made the 2 hour drive north. I was a little worried because the closer we got, the darker the skies got. Right before our exit from the interstate, it started to pour.

I wasn't too keen on setting up in the rain. I had Savannah and two other children in the car, one of whom had prayed for a safe, fun trip before we left. She must have prayed well because, when we arrived at the campsite, it wasn't raining. We hurried to set up tents and things before it rained. I think God was having fun, watching us scurrying around, because it didn't rain the rest of the night!

Here it is, our home away from home!

This land is beautiful! Over 1000 acres to explore filled with deer, creeks, trails, caves, and fun. And wonderful friends to share it with. We went to a nearby Amish community. They had a store full of items you don't always see:

We also enjoyed a stop by the Amish furniture store. I need to win the lottery so I can afford to buy the furniture. Expensive but beautiful!

John likes this chair. It was really comfortable- but I didn't have over $100 for it! Or room to bring it home. So I had to be happy with sitting in it for a few minutes.

We did stop at some Amish girls' bake sale at the side of the road. David got a great cherry pie! I think it was the best pie I'd ever had!

As for the kids, they spent the weekend in the creek fishing, on 4 wheelers riding up and down mountains, and cooking things over the fire. Mainly smores and hot dogs. We decided that diets don't count on vacation, so even I had a smore!

I have way more pictures but with the way Multiply doesn't let me upload things, I'm going to stop here and hope this blog saves!




12 comments:

  1. You should have seen me driving the 4 wheeler. I had a blast, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Janeen, that sounds heavenly! :) I'm so glad you all had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you checked in with us, I reckon I had better call the sherriff down there in North Carolina, and let him know you made it home.

    Glad you had a good time. When on vacation, you can eat anything you want, and not worry about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love camping. Rain or shine. I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful weekend! I miss camping...AND Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should come with us next time, Leece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get back to the Amish country here. Oh man oh man oh man. They make the BEST pies and cobblers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, looks so relaxing. how wonderful. and the pie theme continues !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been a pie week, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Virginias soooo Beautiful My
    Father had a 50 acre farm in Lovingston VA and I still miss it.
    What beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it looks great Janeen. I love to fish too. I have heard about Amish and seen something years ago on TV.

    ReplyDelete