Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Saturday Project

My project for today was to replace the laminate flooring in the foyer with tile. Sounded pretty easy, especially with Scott's help. Water got in under the door and buckled the laminate flooring. Easy job to pull up the laminate and lay tile. I've done it before. I have a friend who owns a carpet store who sold me three boxes of tile left over from a job for $5. Then he gave me the mastic and grout. All I had to really buy was a trowel and the backer-board.

As seems to be my home-improvement luck, when we pulled up the flooring, we found that part of the sub-flooring was rotten. There was also some mold under there. So it had to come up too, so add plywood, insulation, and a new threshold to the list. Back to Lowes.

We had a plan. We had the tools. We had the materials.

What we have now is a huge hole!




20 comments:

  1. I've seen worse; at least your joists seem to be itact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no termite damage, count your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No real damage- one board is a little soft, but we've added some cross braces, killed some mold, and replaced the insulation. So no permanent damage. Could have been if we had left it for another year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that!

    You are brave to take on a project like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL! I hate to laugh but that's how things go in our house. Good luck on getting that fixed where the wood is rotten.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it took us until 9:30pm, but there isn't a hole anymore. It has plywood back for a subfloor now. I agree Sabrina- I like saying "WE" a little too much some days! He's such a sweetheart for spending 12 hours on this yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. isnt it always that way ? at least in my house it is. no project is as straight forward and simple as it appears. the people who owned my house before me really fancied themsleves DIY-ers. ugh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, you like to say "we" a lot but if it is the two of you, then use "we". =D Sounds like you've got yourself a really good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really think I do, Abby! Who else would have put up with this on a Saturday that was sunny and 65 degrees?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I have TWO really good friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, you're up REALLY early! lol! Oh, wait. It is almost 6 am. Never mind.

    Yes, you do have TWO really good friends. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's almost 7am here- and I'm procrastinating doing my Bible study at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, well, you shouldn't procrastinate. lol! (And look who's telling you that! =D)

    I've been up all night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's just my routine. I get on here and read a bit and then do my Bible study. I don't know why I just can't sit down and do it- but I get distracted by other blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I hope you're ok, being up all night!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I don't have to go to work today. Laz and I are staying home because Laz can't do schoolwork and he can't behave, either. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete