Monday, August 11, 2008

Where I've been

Campmeeting!

This is an annual event the first two weeks of August in my hometown. We actually have the oldest campmeeting in the US- over 250 years. This was started by Methodist circuit rider preachers who came through once a year, right after the harvest, and held services for two weeks under an open air arbor.

The tradition is somewhat different now. Permanent structures were built about 100 years ago- called tents- that are about 15x30. Open air- as you can see. Everyone has a swing on the front and the entire camp is built in a circle- so you can walk around and greet and talk to people. Everyone is welcomed- if we don't know you, we'll get to know you! Also, the food is awesome! Ham biscuits and homemade ice cream are the staples.

Here you can see Savannah in our tent:

;

Here's looking down the hill from our tent:



So that's where I've been until late at night every day! Had to go back to work this morning and recover from all the fun!

11 comments:

  1. Just so cool! Were there services, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like something right out of Job: A Comedy of Justice. HE gets caught up in the Rapture and his lady doesn't. She doesn't go to Heaven like the man does and well.... the story gets a little complicated from there on out because not only does it mix Heaven/Hell and the meanings of, Heinlein throws in some old Viking mythology in the mix, too. *sigh* Good book, though.

    Sorry Momma. I get a little distracted. I think I'm more like Jerry than Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well when you're thinking like the cat (whichever one) I'm worried! LOL!

    Sabrina, yes, there were services every night. Really nice sitting outside listening to good gospel music and hearing different ministers. It is nice to hear someone besides your own preacher every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about that. I went to Willow Creek Association's Leadership Summit last week and it was truly a blessing to hear other pastor's views and interpretations of leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is so much easier when I think like the cat! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several people from our church went to that and talked about how wonderful it was! Did you hear Bill Hybels interview the Best Buy CEO? That's what they were all talking about on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES, I was there for it! I only missed the International Justice Mission talk, but I am very familiar with them, my church has profiled them before.

    My favorite talks were from Catherine Rohr from PEP (http://www.prisonentrepreneurship.org) and Craig Groeschel, a pastor (http://www.lifechurch.tv)

    I will absolutely never be the same again...If there is one thing I took away from this is that I want to Passionately and Unapologetically serve GOD.

    If you have a chance to go next year, go...I have David to thank, because I had made up my mind not to go, the obstacles seemed too big. He encouraged me and I ended up being totally blessed by it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this sounds like a fantastic retreat. Ole time Gospel Music is one of my fav's and I bet the fellowship was just amazing. And the homemade ice cream doesn't sound too bad either...lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting Janeen. Not quite like tents and the cabins have electric too. Nice to have you back with us. Dai

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you all had such a wonderful time. What a gorgeous smile Savannah has!.. I'm thinking she gets it from her cute mom. *smile*

    ReplyDelete