Sunday, October 28, 2007

You are what you eat (or you write what you read)

I re-read my last blog and notice that my writing is very different from the usual way I write. I even thought "how formal" - and began to look around for the reason. I just started reading "Pride and Prejudice" which of course was written 200 years ago. The style is what I call "heavy English." So I suppose that gets in my head and comes back out in my writing.

This shouldn't surprise me- I see it in the teenagers and the spoken language they use. Of course a 4 letter word leaks out every now and then, even though they don't hear it here. They also use the expressions of their friends (things that are cool are "fat," another word for "shoot" is "snap") and so the fact that I write what I read shouldn't surprise me.

It does remind me that we need to surround ourselves with people who we want to be like, we need to read books with the vocabulary that we want to have, we need to live in the environment that makes us the best we can be.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Snap! I guess I need to stop reading Cliff Notes! LOL It truly is amazing how our beings adapt and change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing as you. My writing will tend to change according to what I'm reading. I pick up a lot from Movies and shows on TV too. After I watched Kat Von D's show I found myself saying everything was totally rad, or awesome. lol Oh well, guess that's better than what I've picked up from reading some of Stephen King's novels. lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...not me. *I* am the trend-setter for my own head. I notice other authors try to talk like me!! (jus kiddink) but I do find myself thinking about other times and wondering my usual stuff, like is it happening simultaneously but on another plane? and do we ever actually step into that period when we are so immersed in our reading/mind that we forget where we are momentarily?

    There was a Daphne DuMaurier book I read years ago...naturally my morning-dead brain can't remember the title. But it was about a man who was experimenting with mind-altering drugs and actually stepped BACK into history at the physical spot he was standing, or sitting or walking. Damn if I can recall the name...I think it was The House on the Strand. I love her books and have read many...Frenchman's Creek, My Cousin Rachel, Rebecca etc etc. Off topic naturally, but those things intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete