Saturday, June 2, 2007

Let's have compassion

I have heard a lot of talk about being compassionate today. I don't know why this subject came up everywhere I went today, but it must be the theme of the day.

I don't think I am any more compassionate than other people. I do care about others and want to help, but the preacher used me as an example of a compassionate person during his sermon today. Now, he did this mainly to let the congregation know that I took a group of kids from the church yesterday and visited two of our local nursing homes. We sang songs and did a couple of silly skits. The kids get a lot out of that and so do the residents. I don't see this as being compassionate, only as opening these children's eyes as to what "doing for others" really means.

So what is compassionate? I had the chance to talk to a man after church who stutters- I listened until he had gotten out what he wanted to tell me, then thanked him for his compliments. Is that compassion? Or just good manners? Are we born compassionate, or does it have to be taught?

It is my hope today that more people will just think about others sometimes. If that is compassion, then I guess I have it every now and then. If we all try to get a little, the world will be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment