Thursday, April 28, 2011

Italy- Day 7

The last day of our time in Italy was spent on a visit to the ruins of Pompeii. Mt. Vesuvius still looms over the ancient city, almost looking like two mountains where the entire top was blown off. Erupting on an average of once every 40 years, the last eruption was in 1944. (As our guide, Gino, told us, "we are waiting for it to erupt again soon- but not today, I hope!")

I wasn't sure what to expect from this ancient town, but got a real treat! The city streets are uncovered to reveal ancient Roman roads, many with the wear of carriage wheels. The houses still have remnants of mosaic tile floors, plastered walls, and frescoes. The Roman baths are nearly complete with pools and tubs intact. The brothel has many of the pictures on the walls that were used as a "menu" of services- the kids got a big kick out of that! They also had a hard time understanding the phallic symbols carved into sidewalks, doorways, and the road. This was an ancient symbol of prosperity and to this society, a talisman more than a sexual symbol.

All in all, you get a glimpse of a rich city that was dealt a tragic blow. From ancient writings, we know that ash was falling at a rate of 1 foot per hour. This seaside port town is now nearly two miles from the sea. The mountain, which would have been one large, arching dome, is now nearly two mountains with a giant crater at the top.

We returned to Rome for a dinner of pork, french fries, pasta, and fruit (and the ever-present vino!) and returned to our hotel room to pack for the journey home.

All in all, Italy was fascinating, and definitely a place I would travel to again. There were a lot of things I didn't get to do because, it being a school trip of one week, there wasn't the time or opportunity to do it all. It was good to be in a global society and get a different look at the world. I probably learned over 30 Italian words in a week. This is prompting me to come home and learn Spanish, not because I want to be able to talk to the Mexicans here, but because if we don't (and we don't teach our children to) then we will be at a disadvantage. Most Europeans know two or three languages and even our immigrants, as they learn English, will be bilingual. I didn't realize that until this week.

14 comments:

  1. you have done a great job taking through your journey... maybe you can be a tour guide!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful wonderful Janeen!
    A different world with the culture etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I loved your coverage of your visit and hope that you took a lot of pics to share. It's not easy keeping track of what happens each day when you're in the midst of it but you did a fantastic job! What a great time and I'm glad you had fun and learned so much. You might enjoy a trip to Jerusalem, again, lots of history and a great city to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is where I could have gotten lost in time Janeen. Pompei is utterly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree we lack language skills that the rest of the world has. Part of America's arrogance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also want to mention, you're my favorite tour guide! Thanks for the tour Janeen! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're all welcome! I'm so glad I kept notes each day because even reading them to put them here I was going "oh, I forgot that!"

    Doc, I'd love Jerusalem (in more peaceful times, perhaps.) The school is going to London and Paris next year which I'm going to pass on, since my sister lives just outside of London and I feel like I can go whenever I want to. But they're thinking about Greece and Turkey the following year, and I'd LOVE to do that! It is pretty expensive (but a good value considering what all you get) so I'd better start saving now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was taught French (hated that) and German while at school. I'm a bit rusty with the French, probably because of the teacher, he really was a proper swine. German on the other hand, I guess I didn't really need to take that at school as I have German relations and picked up the odd word or two off them. I wouldn't say I was fluent but I could get by.
    Spanish I am self taught (more or less) again I can get by in Spain speaking Spanish. Best thing I found to do is ask the waiters what things mean. They were the best teachers.
    Then there is Gaelic, I can speak some of that, again enough to get by.

    I would have thought that Americans would have been taught French or Spanish as part of the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greece, Turkey, Spain etc... There all about 2hr flying distance from us and usually you can pick up a cheap flight to all places. Some parts of Greece you'd want to avoid like Kos - That's where all the party goers head to and it's non-stop partying. People puking in the streets, people drunk etc.
    Same with some parts of Turkey.

    Check with http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk before thinking of going anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw a History Channel Documentary on Pompeii a few weeks ago - incredible events and now the ability to walk through the rubble must be breath taking

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing a show about the discoveries at Pompeii. I'd love to see those in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, Janeen. I hope your feet have healed up now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They have Kippy- and the pain is all but forgotten. The magic of the trip remains!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the best part of it, Janeen ... it sounds like a phenomenal trip, for sure!

    ReplyDelete