Thursday, April 28, 2011

Italy- Day 1

Day 1 was a long day, because it really started the day before. We got on a Lufthansa plane from Charlotte to Munich, leaving Charlotte at 5pm and arriving at Munich at 8am their time. The flight was long and cramped. It is hard to sleep sitting up, even with two glasses of wine and some melatonin. I did watch two good movies, though- The Switch and The Tourist.

Munich brought a lot of standing in line- first for passport checks and then for re-screening with security. I guess they don't trust the American airports to do it properly. Then, we were in the air again on the way to Milan. We had to ride a bus out to the tarmac and climb the stairs to the plane to get on this little flight. I believe the pilot was also a crop duster- at least he drove like one! Flying over the Swiss Alps was beautiful, though.

We met Stuart, our tour guide for the week, and Salvatore, our handsome Italian bus driver, collected our luggage (none got lost) and were on our way to Verona. Verona, in its day, was a big trade town since it is situated at the North/South pass through the Alps and on the East/West highway across Italy. Verona has a colosseum, much like Rome's, but theirs is still intact and still used for outdoor operas.

Verona is also the setting for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, although Shakespeare never visited the town. Although Juliet was a fictional character, you can visit her "house" and take pictures of her balcony. There was an actual Capulet family in Verona, and this was their house, where they attached a Roman sarcophogous to a window in the courtyard and called it a balcony.  Verona is also the first place of many that we tasted gelato. It really lives up to its reputation!

Dinner at the hotel that night was wonderful- polenta (which is like a potato cake made from grits), sausage that wasn't spicy (tasted more like hamburger), and some sort of beans. Dessert was a sweet cornbread with fruit jam on it. Tasted a lot like southern cooking to me!

Our hotel room was tiny, but clean and quaint. We had a good laugh at the kids playing with the bidet (not knowing what it was used for.) We also had a little balcony facing the sea, but with the view obstructed by the seaside hotel beside it! I also learned something about European hotels that I would love to have in my house! The key, once you opened the door, went into a slot on the door that activated the lights. You could turn lights on and off by normal switches but, when you left the room, you pulled the key out and all the lights you'd left on went out. I so want that at my house!!

21 comments:

  1. It's not a case of not trusting American Airlines to do it properly, They check everyone like that, including us from the UK!

    Yeah those keys are pretty cool, The only thing it doesn't turn off is the air conditioning, which is handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the key trick. :) Sounds like a great start to the trip. You did a lot, especially considering you MUST have been jetlagged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED that key at my house. It would save me a lot of trips around the house turning off lights that my family have left on!

    Handsome bus driver? LOL You had to say that, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you write about your whole trip like this... I live that you are even telling us what you ate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I kept a journal every day and am really typing it in. The food got more boring, though- except for the gelato. They eat a lot of pork and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a wonderful way to remember everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to google a few of the words I wasn't familiar with. LOL Sounds so beautiful and I love the pic!!!!
    American's need to catch on to the key thing. I would so love to have that. No more worrying if the lights were off and no more walking into a dark house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a perfect Holiday Janeen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So...

    1. Did you explain the bidet?
    2. I want a bidet in my house.
    3. That key/lights gizmo sounds very nice. I'd like one of those, too!
    4. Yummmmm....Gelato!
    5. Your dinner sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We explained the bidet to the kids, to a lot of ewwww's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have told them about the mop man- then they would have appreciated the bidet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow I can see I'm going to enjoy reading your blogs about Italy. No need for mops if you had bidets. We have no bidets here but we have sprays which are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The keys which activate the electricity supply. They are widespread in use in Asia. Saves a lot of power. Can we send you a mop man ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I love how you are giving me a little history lesson here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We got so much history that I don't think I remembered it all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the Italy show! I went through your posts backward but either way what an adventure you had

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it all except for the flying part and all the standing in lines. I can just imagine the kids with the bidet. lol

    ReplyDelete