Thursday, April 28, 2011

Italy- Day 2

Day 2 found us up at 7:00am for a breakfast of ham, cheese, hard rolls, jam and coffee. The bus took us to the dock where we got on a boat to the island of Murano. (This is where they make Murano glass!) We saw one of the artisans make a vase from glass, then make a small horse statue- all in about 5 minutes! Then we perused the glass art gallery with some exquisite pieces in it!

After Murano, we boarded the boat to the Grand Canal at Venice. After disembarking, we met Carlo, our local guide, who took us down the back alleys of Venice, pointing out the more interesting sites. Many of the streets are very narrow. often allowing enough room for only two people to pass. The oddest thing, to me, was that the entrance to many of these streets was through what appeared to be a "door" in a building.

We saw the Campo San Zaccaria, where the remains of John the Baptist's father (Zacchariah) are. We crossed small canals and tiny alleys to end at the Piazza San Marco, or St. Mark's Square. The Basillica of San Marco is exquisite, and the Doges Palace beside it is even more elaborate. Home to the rulers of Venice (the Doge) it also housed the government as well as the prison. Opulent with gilded ceilings, massive carvings over fireplaces, frescoes, and paintings from artists like Tintorello, Veronesse, and Risso, it was built in the 9th century and partly reconstructed in 1580 following a fire. It has a huge "grand hall" which is said to be the largest room in Europe.

Following the self-tour of the palaces and prison (where Cassanova was imprisoned at one time) came the best treat of the day- a gondola ride! For 20 Euro, we had a relaxing 45 minute ride through the back canals of Venice and partway down the Grand Canal. Our gondolier "Gianni" was humorous and sweet as he showed us where the first floor of buildings were now flooded as Venice slowly sinks. It is built on mud with wooden pilings driven down into the ground to create the foundation of most buildings.

We had an hour before it was time to meet the boat off the island and used that time to have gelato and wander through the street vendors. I would have loved to have more time in Venice. We only saw a part of the city and saw, but didn't get to cross, the Rialto bridge.

28 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a trend here -- handsome bus driver one day, humorous and sweet gondolier the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, mentions food and drink first! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. location, location, location...... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of the most important things, right? That and cute Italians!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the bus driver- and he was married. Kept showing us pictures of his baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Holiday Janeen. Ive been to Italy; tho long ago
    its is so charming as well as the friendly people. The food
    was grand then too. I saw glass blowing too, my Mother still
    has the pcs I bought. What a wonderful time wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pic! By now you are in love with Italy aren't you? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to go back some day! I even have a list of the things I didn't get to do. And Janet, I was going to buy some glass but with it being the first of the trip, I was afraid it would never make it home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20 Euros for 45 minutes on a boat? Remind me never to go to Venice. That's like 10 days salary for us here. Glad you loved it though. You should have swum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just had to get that in LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like everyone else has said....food, drink and handsome, witty men! Sounds lovely to me!

    How much is 20 Euros?

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the current exchange rate, 20 Euros was almost $30.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a lovely boat ride...I tried that once in Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, that seems like a lot to me, but for what might be a once in a lifetime experience it was well worth it.
    Wooden pilings in mud?! It's a wonder the buildings haven't collapsed
    or something. Wood eventually rots, even the treated lumber they make nowadays won't last forever.
    I'd love to be in Italy but I guess I'll do it the way I did my Ireland 'trip', I bought DVDs with tours on them. I can afford DVD 'trips'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it was $30 well spent- it was one of my top three favorite things of the entire trip!

    And buildings do collapse- especially the towers. We saw some that had been rebuilt. One was leaning. And there is scaffolding everywhere all over Italy- and cranes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet number one was gelato. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, number one has to be the Sistine Chapel. Gelato comes in the top 3 though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I guess gelato would have a hard time trying to compete against the Sistine Chapel. I'd like to see that in person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was amazing- I cried. Just sat there with tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I probably would too, heck, I cried when I got to go to Disney World, and when I went to see Allen Jackson. Getting to see things I never thought I would see really moves me emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so interesting, Janeen! It's a part of the world, I'd love to see. I'm enjoying "seeing" it through your eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Kippy. I thought of you in that shot up there- usually I see your pictures with the tip of a kayak in them. Now I have a picture with the tip of a gondola in it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. *laugh* Exactly what I was thinking, too. You can put together a book .... Scenes From A Gondola. ;)

    ReplyDelete