Monday, May 2, 2011

Because I'm a Libra....

I'm usually able to see both sides of an issue. My friends come to me for advice because they know I'm going to consider an angle they haven't even thought of. But this gift is often a curse. Today, it has made me feel sad while most are cheering.

I went to bed early so I didn't hear of Bin Laden's death until this morning. My military son greeted me with the news as I got ready this morning. He was so happy, feeling that his fellow soldiers had done the world a huge favor in removing this monster from the realm. He was happy and exciting, rejoicing at the news.

For some reason I couldn't pinpoint at the time, I was just sad. On one hand, I am very glad that an evil person can no longer harm innocent people. But this was a God-created life, just like everyone else, and I can't help but think that we killed someone and shouldn't be that excited about it. There are reports of people celebrating, even setting off fireworks! I can't be that happy about the loss of a life, no matter whose it is.

Which sets off more conflicts inside of me. I've always supported the death penalty, at least in people like Timothy McVey, Jeffrey Dahmer, and others who have no regard for human life. There is just a point in time that allowing a life to continue is detrimental to life on the planet. Surely, that support should extend to a monster like Bin Laden.

What disturbs me the most is that he was simply executed- no trial, no "presumed innocent until found guilty", nothing but a bullet to the head that ended life. Somehow this seems to me like we're no better than the people we call our enemies.

I'm not saying any of this to detract from our military and their progress in the war against terror. I don't want to get into conspiracy theories, or whether the news stories are true, or whether Bin Laden existed to begin with (yeah, I have heard that one too...) but if we have no regard for a human life, can we expect others to regard our lives, either?

The Libra in me may never figure this one out....


21 comments:

  1. to help your conflict, remember he did take responsibility for his actions publicly....

    meanwhile, I am not rejoicing in the same way, myself... I fear what will happen next.... sometimes it is better to know the enemy, and that they are hiding , than to give more cause and reason for senseless acts of terrorism....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, Mo... he did gleefully take responsibility for many acts. And you're right- sometimes the enemy you know is better than the one you don't know.

    I tried to imagine today what I would be feeling if they had captured him and were holding him for trial (like they did Saddam Hussein.) I'd probably be crying for execution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What disturbed me the most is that people here are celebrating the same way the death of someone important is celebrated in the Middle East. I call that hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Aquarius in me can't figure that out either. Of course, it can't figure out why people are so in love with war in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cal, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, have to agree with you and Susan. I haven't read or heard all the details but I assumed that Laden and the others opened fire on the people who tried to take him into custody. I've been avoiding reading too much about it because I know retaliations will follow this. I mean, look what they did because they believed we had violated their holy land. Now we kill the slime-ball they consider to be their hero, I can't even begin to imagine what paybacks are being planned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I said earlier today that there were others probably groomed to take his place. I doubt this means the end of the organization. And now they have more of a reason for coming for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Facebook friend just posted this quote:
    "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." — Martin Luther King Jr

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was the best way, not only because execution insured that it would happen, but also because a captured Osama would only be paraded in public and rallied around even more. Kill him. No longer allow him to spread his hate to more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you know in the Bible they got alot of evil people quickly, but I see your point.
    A female bear came out of the woods bc they made fun of a prohet! And God
    allowed that. I am sad that he never knew the Living God.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He wasn't executed. He was fighting back, and he was eliminated. We would have much rather captured him alive and put him on trial. But we all should have known he was never going to allow himself to be captured. Consider it just another casualty of a war he started.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that Dave. As more information comes out, I see that he fought to the death. I guess what bothers me the most is all the celebrations that he is dead. I'm glad he is dead- I'm glad that he can't hurt anyone ever again- but I can't be as jubilant as some at the loss of life, no matter whose it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably a good thing I wasn't prez when 9/11 happened. I tend to over react. I don't think the world would have appreciated what my sense of justice would have demanded, not to mention the radioactive fallout over Afghanistan's neighboring countries after the country itself simply ceased to exist.

    As for OBL himself... Good riddance t bad garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's the Vatican response: (They summed it up better than I did)
    The crowds that gathered outside the White House after the president's announcement appeared to be following their hearts as they waved American flags and cheered. The sight clearly troubled the Vatican, which released a statement Monday morning chastising the jubilation even while acknowledging that bin Laden was responsible for "the deaths of innumerable people."

    "Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices but reflects on the serious responsibility of everyone before God and man, and hopes and pledges that every event is not an opportunity for a further growth of hatred, but of peace."

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-justice-vengeance-bin-laden-20110502,0,3479224.story

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think it's so much a Libra thing, but a HUMAN thing since I know most of my friends and family feel exactly as you do...including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we'll see more of al-Zawahiri (Bin Laden's #2 man, now the worlds #1 most wanted).
    Lets just hope there are no more attacks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't share your sentiments on this one Jan but I can understand them easily. I also thought along your lines as I was rejoicing but in the end I decided that I am very happy he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad he's gone....even though that sounds extremely callous...but the celebrations sicken me. Dancing on someone's grave, so to speak. He was a human, albeit an extremely evil one. That doesn't mean that a party should be held.

    ReplyDelete