Friday, February 15, 2008

What I got for Valentine's Day

Apparently I'm keeping Kat in anticipation! I suppose my Valentine's Day will seem pathetic compared to those with husbands or boyfriends. I actually got a card from my daughter. A homemade one! She really loves me!

And, I got a treat! Scott came over to dinner. He has never accepted an invitation before, so the fact that he wanted to spend Valentine's night with me and my crazy family means a lot. I cooked ham, hashbrown casserole, sweet potato souffle, rolls, and steamed cabbage. He ate two plate-fulls!

No, he didn't bring flowers, or chocolate, or (much to Chris' dismay?) hugs or kisses. He did bring friendship. I am beginning to understand how great a gift it is when you find a friend. Someone who connects with you, helps you see your way through problems but doesn't judge you, someone to listen and understand. We stayed up until 10:30pm just talking (and yawning- we're getting old you know!) and that is the greatest present he could have brought me. That, and the love and concern he offers my kids. Savannah understands that I don't want to risk this friendship right now by trying to take it to another level. We talked a little last night and he feels the same way.

We're all playing hookie on Thursday and going skiing! I'm so excited to get to spend an entire day with him, watching him take Savannah skiing for her first time. He seems to think that is pretty special for him, too.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty nice evening to me:) Glad you're going to get to go out skiing together too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, that sounds like a very nice Valentine's Day. And YES I have been waiting to hear what he did. Grudgingly... he did the right thing. If he had brought you flowers and stuff you would have freaked. So this way YOU did the giving, and he appreciated it by eating. I love hash brown casserole, btw. Is it the same as Cracker Barrel's?? *drool*

    Well, if it's all the same to you, I'll watch this dude like a hawk, and you just enjoy yourself. OK? I just can't get past the fact there ARE wonderful men out there lol. Looks like you ran into one. Tell me his last name and I'll run a background check. I have friends in the CIA. (chuckles)

    Where are you skiing? Boone??

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...and pathetic? you wanna talk pathetic? read my blog. I witnessed an accident and went home and had a beer for Valentine's Day hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor Kat! Ok, you keep an eye on him for me!

    I think we're going to Winterplace. He's a big skiier- his dad has a place in Utah- and he says all the good snow is there. I'm game- been to Boone before so this will be different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I"ll post the hash brown casserole in my recipes- super easy and everyone here loves it! Never had Cracker Barrel's to know if it is the same thing or not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't you know I've been sitting here all this time waiting for you to answer? haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd ship you some but there ain't none left!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful. I miss my old companion to whom I could stand exposed without judgment. It is a true gift when you have such a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fantastic Valentine's Day you had. And the dinner sounds great, all except the steamed cabbage...Thats part of a boiled dinner isn't it? My ex wife used to make boiled dinner (specially around St Patrick's Day) and I would just go to McDonalds...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL- Actually, I knew he liked cabbage or I wouldn't have made it! I can't stand it boiled to death, though- I have a steamer thingy that goes in the bottom of a pot- the water goes under and the veggies go above, and you put the lid on and let it steam for 3 or 4 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good Valentine's to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good day to me. I'm learning it is all about the connection....having someone to connect to in pure friendship is the best gift ever. I miss that!

    Have fun skiing, I still haven't gotten around to doing that yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ended up making potato soup tonight for lunch next week. With Jonathan in FL, it should last me all week! I had potatos on the brain. So when he gets back, I'm gonna make the casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMmm.... I love potato soup! Actually, there isn't much you can do to a potato that I don't like! Guess it is the Irish in me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah me too....I love potatos. It could be the Hungarian in me? haha.

    ReplyDelete